Undergraduate Spotlight

Kylee 1

Kylee Hargrove

Why did you choose RPTS as your major?

I am passionate about many things in life, but I am especially passionate about youth and travel benefits/impacts. I believe in investing in the lives of youth because they deserve to be invested in and brought up to change this world. RPTS has many professors and classes that teach you just that, the importance of changing the lives of youth. The other passion of mine is for travel and the importance it brings to people’s lives. Travel and tourism can change the trajectory, viewpoints and even enlighten someone’s life. I wanted to study that art and the impact it has on one to learn and experience all tourism has to offer.

What is your favorite Aggie Tradition? Why?Kylee 2

My favorite aggie tradition is the aggie ring and what it symbolizes. The ring is the most visible symbol of the aggie network and connects Ags all around the world. Every symbol on the ring represents the values that should be held by each member of the aggie family. These values include excellence, integrity, leadership, loyalty, respect and selfless service. The requirements that must be met in order to receive your aggie ring are some of the toughest in the country, which is why it has become one of the most treasured items to have as an aggie.

What is your favorite Aggie Tradition? Why?

Kylee 5What was your favorite class at A&M?

My favorite class at A&M was Dr. Martz’s RPTS 474 Management of Programs and Services for Youth. Not only were many of my friends in this class, but this is the class where I learned how to invest into children and play to their strengths, not their weaknesses. This class and what was taught was able to show us different perspectives on how each of our personalities are different and that we need to embrace each of those personalities because they can all play a part in this worlds greater good. If we only cater to one learning style, some get left behind, frustrated and it can even hinder their education. By being educated in this class I can now cater to different people and embrace what each unique and brilliant child brings to the table.

What do you like most about Bryan/College Station, TX?

Before moving away to start my journey as a college student my mother always assured me that my collegiate friends would be the ones that would last a lifetime. Little did I know how true this would become, I have made so many friends during my college career and truly believe they will be in my life forever. This is what I love most about Bryan/College Station is the people and the hearts that live in it. It is a wonderful place filled with friends that become family.

Kylee 3What is the best advice you’ve received about college life? 

“The sun will still rise tomorrow.” My father is one of my heroes and throughout my career here at Texas A&M he and my mother have been my biggest cheerleaders.  I have had many days where I have felt defeated and it never fails that when those days occur my father would end his pep talk with “well Kylee, the sun will still rise tomorrow.” So we have hope, and we can cling to that knowing that at the end of a day where we feel we can longer go on, that it will all work out. Tomorrow is a new day with a fresh start, make someone smile and make it a worthwhile day!

What has been your most treasured  vacation?

My family and I started an annual family vacation to South Carolina every year. This past year myself and my parents went to Nashville before heading over to South Carolina. We experienced the culture of their downtown, Grand Ole Opry and we were even able to drive through the Smokey Mountains. Nashville is a place we have all dreamt about going to so being able to experience the music city capitol with my favorite people was something I will treasure forever.

Kylee 4What piece of advice would you give to future RPTS students?

Be Brave. As a student at Texas A&M University many opportunities surround you, take them. College is a special time in a student’s life where many “once in a lifetime” chances arise. I would encourage future RPTS students to get outside their comfort zone, take chances and fully embrace change. Being brave through the changes that occur with college allows for the journey to be filled with so much joy.