Our undergraduate major in recreation, park and tourism sciences is accredited by the Council on Accreditation for Parks, Recreation, Tourism, and Related Professions (COAPRT). COAPRT is, in turn, accredited by the Council on Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA). COAPRT accredits baccalaureate programs in parks, recreation, tourism, sport management, event management, therapeutic recreation, and leisure studies offered at regionally accredited institutions within the United States and its territories, and at nationally accredited institutions in Canada and Mexico.
COAPRT standard 2.05.05 requires reporting of aggregated results of learning outcomes assessment. Results for the most recent academic year (AY 2014) follow:
- Recreation, Park and Tourism Sciences major pass rate was 93% on our learning outcomes exam.
- Community Development major pass rate was 100% on our learning outcomes exam.
- 93% of professionals who supervise RPTS/CDEV interns indicated they would hire the interns if they funds were available.
- RPTS and CDEV student self ratings of achievement averaged 9.8 on a 10 point scale.
- Faculty rating of graduate student performance indicated 100% performance with respect to College of Agriculture and Life Sciences learning outcomes.
Important Information Regarding Degree Mills
Please watch this important video regarding degree and accreditation mills. According to CHEA, “Degree mills and accreditation mills mislead and harm. In the United States, degrees and certificates from mills may not be acknowledged by other institutions when students seek to transfer or go to graduate school. Employers may not acknowledge degrees and certificates from degree mills when providing tuition assistance for continuing education. “Accreditation” from an accreditation mill can mislead students and the public about the quality of an institution. In the presence of degree mills and accreditation mills, students may spend a good deal of money and receive neither an education nor a usable credential. Read more on CHEA’s website.
Texas A&M University is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools.