Recreation, Park and Tourism Sciences offers a number of field based courses that allow students to meet professionals on location and experience the people and places of our profession. Field courses provide first hand experiences that help students more clearly understand how, for example, a youth camps operates and meets the goal of developing positive and productive citizens; to see the amenities developed by tourism destinations for targeted audiences and how the military keeps troops mentally prepared and physically fit through special recreation programs. These courses can be invaluable through exposing students to the nuts and bolts of professional life and provide networking that can lead to a future career.
Attraction & Destination Management
• Covers the importance and purpose of a destination’s attractions to
consumer based, local communities, and career options.
• Visits Texas Attractions including San Antonio Spurs, Moody Gardens,
Fiesta Texas, Schlitterbahn, Sea World, City Zoo’s, and more.
Camp Leadership and Management
• Covers structure, organization, administration and leadership challenges and opportunities facing professionals interested in careers in youth camps.
• Visits Youth Camps throughout Texas
• Covers management theory as it relates to running events, recreation, and leisure experiences for military service members and their families.
• Recently visited Alaska, San Diego, and Hawaii.
Park & Protected Area Management
• Covers park planning, land acquisition, administration, maintenance,
interpretation, and natural and cultural resource management.
• Trips to Alaska, Great Smoky Mountains, Hawaii, Texas’ Big Bend, and Utah