The Professional Event Management Certificate (PEMC ), offered by the Department of Recreation, Park and Tourism Sciences (RPTS), has been developed to accustom students with the various components of planning, managing, implementing and evaluating meetings and special events.
- Applicants must be currently enrolled in an undergraduate degree program at Texas A&M and, if required, have permission from their departmental advisor to apply for the program.
- All TAMU students in any major may apply.
- An overall TAMU GPA of 2.0 or higher is required for acceptance into the PEMC program.
- Must complete the PEMC application and essay
Core Curriculum – Must be taken in order in separate semesters
RPTS 311 (3) Planning & Implementation of Events and Programs
RPTS 320 (3) Event Management & Operations I
RPTS 321 (3) Event Management & Operations II (Spring only)
Administration Course – Choose one
RPTS 304 (3) Administration of Recreation Resource Agencies
RPTS 423 (3) Tourism Management (Fall only)
Specialized Elective – 3 credits
AGCJ 306 Theory and Practice of Agricultural Public Relations
ACGJ 380 Event Facilitation
HORT 203 Floral Design
HORT 454 Special Event Design and Production (2)
RPTS 308 Foundation of Community and Change (Spring only)
RPTS 331 Tourism Marketing
RPTS 484 Internship (3) – Event Management Internship
- Students must earn a grade of “C” or better in each PEMC applicable course
- Must maintain a “B” average (3.0 GPA) in the required courses
- It is departmental policy for PEMC that you cannot retake RPTS 311, RPTS 320 or RPTS 321
- The PEMC program will require a minimum of twenty five (25) hours of service in the conduct of event planning and execution.
- These hours will be performed after the student is admitted to the PEMC program.
- Appropriate documentation guidelines are given by the PEMC Program Advisor (Tracking sheet).
- Service hour requirements from RPTS 311, RPTS 320 and RPTS 321 may apply.
- Prior approval and post documentation verification will be granted by the PEMC Program Advisor.
PEMC students will turn in a one page, double spaced written statement of why they chose the volunteer hours that they did and how those hours will help them in their future in the events industry.