The Professional Event Management Certificate is focused on preparing students to design, plan, manage, implement, and evaluate experiences, meetings, and special events. Students will take hands-on event management coursework which covers planning, promotion, operational logistics, sponsorship, evaluation, contracting, media, fundraising, risk management, and vendor management. They will also learn using hands on experience to implement a number of community and campus events.
Academic Advisor for program: Melyssa-Anne Stricklin (email@example.com)
Program Coordinator: Dr. Donna Lee Sullins (firstname.lastname@example.org)
This certificate program requires at least three semesters to complete. Because of this, students must apply 3 full semesters prior to graduation or have already taken RPTS 311. It is best to apply as soon as possible, prior to completing coursework, as there is no guarantee of admission. Please note, required volunteer hours may not start counting until you are officially accepted into the program.
Core Curriculum – Complete all 9 credit hours (4 classes) (Must be taken in order in separate semesters)
RPTS 311 (3) Planning & Implementation of Events and Programs (fall, spring, sometimes summer)
RPTS 320 (3) Event Management & Operations I (fall, spring)
RPTS 321 (3) Event Management & Operations II (fall, spring)
RPTS 324 (0) Event Management Final Assessment (fall, spring)
Note: RPTS 321 and RPTS 324 can be taken concurrently
Administration Course – Choose 3 credit hours
RPTS 323 (3) Managing Hospitality and Recreation Organizations / Tourism Management (prereq: RPTS 201 or 302)
RPTS 444 (3) Service Quality for Hospitality Organizations (online only)
Note: If you took RPTS 304 or RPTS 411, we will accept that has the administration course credit.
Specialized Elective – Choose 3 credit hours
AGCJ 306 (3) Theory and Practice of Agricultural Public Relations (may have prereq’s and/or restrictions)
AGCJ 307 (3) Design for Agricultural Media (may have prereq’s and/or restrictions)
HORT 203 (3) Floral Design (may have prereq’s and/or restrictions)
HORT 416 (3) Understanding Wine: From Vines to Wines and Beyond (may have prereq’s and/or restrictions)
HORT 452 (3) Floral Design: Weddings and Personal Flowers (may have prereq’s and/or restrictions)
HORT 454 (2) Special Event Design and Production (may have prereq’s and/or restrictions)
RPTS 308 (3) Foundation of Community & CDEV (Spring only)
RPTS 331 (3) Tourism Marketing (prereq: RPTS 302)
RPTS 444 (3) Service Quality for Hospitality Orgs (online only) IF NOT USED ABOVE
RPTS 484 (3) Internship – Event management internship
- Students must earn a grade of “C” or better in each PEMC applicable course
- Students must earn a grade of “Satisfactory” (pass) in RPTS 324 (zero credit course)
- Must maintain a “B” average (3.0 GPA) in the required PEMC courses
- It is departmental policy for the PEMC that you cannot retake RPTS 311, RPTS 320 or RPTS 321
Event Volunteer Requirements
- A minimum of 40 hours (unpaid) of service in the conduct of event management and execution
- At least 10 events, volunteering at each event at least 3 hours
- No community service will be accepted; e.g., Big Event, Replant
- No family/friend events
- These hours will be performed after the student is admitted to the PEMC program
- Approximately half of your required event volunteer hours may be completed within RPTS 311, 320, and 321.
- We encourage a variety of events!
Portfolio Website Requirements
- You will build a portfolio website to represent your volunteer work.
- Final Portfolio submitted in RPTS 324
- Students must pass the exit exam prior to gaining the certificate.
- The exam will be based on RPTS 311, RPTS 320 and RPTS 321.
- You can take the exam as many times as you need to until you pass.
- Taken in RPTS 324